IS claims London Bridge attack

London, December 1

The Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility for the London Bridge terror attack in which two people were killed, saying the UK-born attacker, who wanted to set up a terrorist training camp in the garb of a madrassa in his ancestral region of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK), was one of its fighters. The group claimed the responsibility for Usman Khan’s knife rampage on the streets of London on Friday, which killed two and injured three people, via its Amaq news agency in a post on Saturday that was published on the TamTam and Telegram app.

“The person who carried out the London attack was a fighter from the Islamic State, and did so in response to calls to target citizens of coalition countries,” the ISIS statement read. The news emerged as former schoolmates of the 28-year-old terrorist, who was shot dead by armed police officers, revealed he had been seen preaching under the ISIS flag as a young teenager after he dropped out of school in Stoke-on-Trent in central England – where his family settled many years ago after moving from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). “It is vital that the empty ideology of terror is rejected by all of us and that communities come together side-by-side to ensure that those seeking to divide us will never succeed,” said Scotland Yard’s Head of Counter Terrorism Policing, Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu.

“As a precaution, we have enhanced police patrols across Londo,” he said.

The profile pieced together of Khan on the basis of his conviction on terrorism offences reveals a “serious jihadi” who was the youngest in a nine-member group of Islamist radicals jailed in 2012 for planning to bomb the London Stock Exchange (LSE) and the US Embassy as well as target VIPs such as Boris Johnson, then the Mayor of London. — PTI

No terror motive for Hague stabbing

Amsterdam: The Dutch police have said there was no evidence that a man arrested on suspicion of stabbing three people in the Hague had a terrorist motive. Three teenagers were hurt in the incident on Friday evening on a busy shopping street. The police said the suspect, a 35-year old man arrested at a homeless shelter on Saturday, had been interrogated thoroughly. Reuters

Boris Johnson vows crackdown on crime after friday’s attack

London: Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson has vowed to crack down on crime after the London attack. “It does not make sense for us to be putting people convicted of terrorist offences out on early release,” Johnson said during a visit to London Bridge on Saturday. Johnson, who is leading the polls for the general elections slated for December 12, added that the Conservative Party manifesto says his government would issue tougher sentences for serious and violent crimes. IANS



from The Tribune https://ift.tt/2LcedZb
via IFTTT https://ift.tt/eA8V8J
IS claims London Bridge attack IS claims London Bridge attack Reviewed by Unknown on December 01, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.